Sagada to Manila

We considered waiting along the road to catch either the GL or Lizardo bus going to Baguio, but we chose to walk to Longid Centrum in the town center to wait for the bus there. The walk promised to be cold and difficult because we were carrying our bags, so it was lucky that a jeep drove up and offered to drive us to the town center–and didn’t charge us a thing. Thank you, guy. We were taking the 7 a.m. trip, but we were at the town center by 6 a.m., so we got to see the town covered in fog and people getting their merchandise ready for market day.

The bus promptly left at 7 a.m. and took the Halsema Highway route. The entire ride was simply stunning thanks to the views of the Chico River, the fog in the mountains, and the various towns of Benguet. I particularly fell in love with Buguias and I hope to actually visit it someday. We also spotted a sign welcoming people to the Mummy Caves of Timbac, Benguet. I’m hoping to visit that place very soon. Pinoy Adventurista and Easy Traveler had awesome things to say about the place, and I’m using their posts as a guide for when the time comes for me to see the mummies. We also reached the highest point of the Philippine highway system; the portion of the highway was extremely foggy.

We arrived in Baguio around 12:30 p.m. and that’s when our nightmare started. Despite promoting itself as a tourist haven, Baguio’s not very friendly to newcomers in the sense that you wouldn’t know where to go right away after landing there. At the bus station, for example, it would have been nice if there were signs pointing visitors to the spot where they could get a taxi or a jeep. From the station, we crossed the street via the overpass then hailed a taxi to take us to the Victory Liner station, where we got tickets for the 3 p.m. trip to Manila. We then caught another taxi to take us to Sizzling Plate along Abanao Extension for lunch. We were back at the terminal by 2 p.m. and were on our way by 3 p.m. The bus stopped a couple of times, first in Rosales, Pangasinan and then in Tarlac City. Uneventful ride overall, but we had a blast watching the silly-as-hell Bait and actually enjoyed Mr. Popper’s Penguins; I still don’t know why.

I got home at 9:15 p.m. while TJ got home at 10 p.m. And that was the end of a very nice holiday, and I’m already wondering when we can go back up north.

January 31, 2013 by Lynn
Categories: Yay! - Leave a comment

Leave a reply

Required fields are marked *

Time limit is exhausted. Please reload CAPTCHA.